Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Family

Today was a good day.
The End.
No just kidding.
But it was a good day. I hung out with Johanne and Michele in the morning. Richardson was at the hospital. I nearly fainted when they told me that, but turns out he was just getting a routine checkup. I painted Michele's nails and folded her a crane out of some glittery paper we found. She really seemed to like that. I'm enjoying bonding with her. She's got a great smile.
She seems stronger everyday which is so incredible! She still doesn't really talk, or if she does it's a whisper. But she walks on her own now.
After Michele went to rest for awhile, Ketley (one of the women who works there all the time) allowed me to mash the beans for dinner. It was a giant pot. Like I could have easily sat in it. So I set to work, because, darn it I was going to succeed at a chore! I did too. Took forever and I felt like my arms were melting, but I did it.
I felt really included. I mean I always feel included, but when I am helping I just feel...like part of this crazy family that we are at CHOAIDS.
Kada, Nancy, and Ketley are all called "Mamma" followed by their name. And today someone called me Mommy Sadie! Yeah, it feels like we're a family. Kada told me she loved me (in creole) the other day, and Ketley does my hair a lot.
It's like a million kids and three moms. And everyone loves each other, even if it's tough love sometimes. But they're (we're) in it together. Just imagine this house full of children running and playing. And there's laughter everywhere, and everyone helps with chores, and they all eat dinner together. The older ones help the little ones with homework, the moms gossip in creole, and I laugh with them pretending I understand. We kiss each other on the cheek and tease each other. And we're all just happy to be together.
If that's not family, I don't know what is.
I'm going to miss their laughs.

3 comments:

  1. Just a heartfelt post. Wow! I'm glad you were able to capture the essence of the CHOAIDS family in just a short time. Btw, Rose-Michelle is the most quiet of our children. She mostly smiles and only talks when she has something meaningful to say. I'm sure you will get her to talk a little bit more before you leave. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear it was a good day. I believe you are making a difference but that you may very well not see it or understand it until a later time. Just providing a bit of extra love and affection is hugely important. I love those kids!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sweet! I'm glad you have this family and I'm sure they are glad to have you :)

    ReplyDelete