Monday, November 2, 2015

Lost

So today I decided to be very brave and walk all the way to the supermarket and back by myself. Samuel offered to drive me, but I insisted that I could do it. After all, I am a strong, independent young woman. I don't need help walking to the Stop and Go.
Turns out I do.
I was so focused on ignoring the cat calls and people trying to sell me things that I missed my turn. It's a 45 minute walk there. I told Samuel that if I wasn't back in 2 hours he should worry.
He was just checking his watch and realizing that I'd been gone for 2 hours when I called him to say I was hopelessly lost.
He had no Idea where I was because I'm terrible at giving directions so he said "Just put a Haitian on the phone!" I did.
"Okay I come get you." Samuel said, after they talked in rapid creole for several minutes. The guy waited with me until Samuel pulled up.
I remember thinking that if 6 months ago someone had told me I would be standing in the middle of Port au Prince with a total stranger, waiting for the manager of the hostel to come save me...well I'd think that sounded a bit like me. Honestly.
Now everyone is laughing at me.

1 comment:

  1. I am just glad you 1. had your phone. 2. called for help. 3. Samuel was there to help. 4. You had a nice Haitian to talk to Samuel.

    Did you get lost on the way to or the way from the store?

    ReplyDelete