Saturday, October 24, 2015

Wake up call

At the moment I am eating this thing that I don't know what it is. It's the breakfast that the hostel is providing me with. The only way I can explain it is sweet breakfast soup. It's not that bad.
So yesterday I had a pretty scary experience. I went out with some friends to hang out with them where they live. Their house is about 30 minutes from mine, and in a much nicer part of town, so I was excited. We had a great time. They have a beautiful view and we were caught in an amazing lightning storm. Gorgeous.
I just found a chunk in my breakfast soup.
At midnight they decided to go to another party. I didn't really feel like it, so I decided to go home. They said the roads were surely dry enough to put me on a moto.
I've now just been bit my a mosquito on the bottom of my foot. How?
And there is a hair in my soup.
I guess I'll wait till lunch to eat. Gracious.
Sorry, I'm not meaning to complain, just tired.
So my friend Patrick interrogates several moto drivers to make sure we get a trustworthy one. Eric gives me his jacket, they pay the moto ahead of time, and I'm on my way. We're driving along when I realize that we haven't taken the usual turn to my hostel. It's a thirty minute ride, and I wondered if he had some sort of shortcut. Then we headed out of town. Like lights were disappearing and all I could see was the beginning of the countryside. This is when I realized that I was surely being abducted.
I had a small keychain knife in my pocket, and some money, but no phone. I had expected to be with Pat until I went home.
The moto driver only spoke creole.
I began yelling "Jedco! Jedoc!" Which is a place everyone knows that is right across the street from my hostel. We kept on, getting farther and farther away. I yelled again and he yelled in creole.
I was surely going to die.
Just them he pulled over and found a man standing on the road with another moto.
This was it, I was being sold for ransom.
They blabbered away. The man had a women with him too. I wondered if we could escape together using my knife and amazing self defense skills.
Then they got on a separate moto and we began following them. 
Yep, I'm a goner.
Then we turned around. "Jedco? Okay?"
"Okay. Jedco."
Turns out he had gotten lost. We followed the other couple all the way back into town, all the way past everything that had been our wrong turn, and then I was walking through the gates of the hostel. I could barely breathe. Just so happens that I was supposed to be the only person in the compound tonight besides the guard. There were no guests and everyone else had gone out for the weekend to avoid the chaos of the city.
Did I mention that on the way to our friend's house Pat and I got caught in such horrible traffic that we had to get off the moto and actually run through the traffic jam trying not to be hit.
So I headed for my room to the hostel, and there in the hall was Michael. He had been gone on a trip for a few days and had just returned that night. We were relieved to see each other, thinking that we had each been the only ones at the hostel.
It was such a comfort.
Let me tell you about him: He is somewhere between being a father figure and a fantastic friend. He has a wonderful British accent and great taste in food. I'd really been missing him.
We stayed up, standing in the hall, past midnight talking about our experiences that day. He had lost most of his important possessions and his vehicle was stopped in traffic where he was threatened to have his head smashed in with a rock.
The rioting has begun.
We decided to stay here for the next week.
I am still on a rush of adrenaline.
I'm sure he is too.
We're going to lunch today at a rich hotel right around the corner. Safest place to venture. If the streets aren't flooded with thousands of people (literally). In which case we will be stuck there for awhile, but it's still one of the safest places in this area.
I'm excited about that. I'll feel safe.
Got a good night sleep, might take a calming nap in a bit.
Alright, enough of this.
Goodbye.

7 comments:

  1. Oh Sadie Lou, you had my blood pumping! I'm glad you are safe and tha Michael is there with you! Sounds like you'll be ready for some good lunch today. Be safe, Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Made my heart pound too! Knew you were safe because you were posting but yikes. Sounds like Michael also had a really scary experience. Stay safe and stick together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sadie, is there always rioting, or is this something new? What is it about; or does anyone know?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sadie, I'm glad you are safe and glad you are laying low for the next few days. As you know, I have told the staff to lay low and listen to the news. If it is possible, call Fanfan and Johanne to get updates on the kids. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  5. whoa Sadie -- sounds like you kept your cool and glad you had Michael there to talk to. What a trip, that driver! Do you know what is in the breakfast soup, besides a hair and a chunk?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That will be one of those stories you'll tell for years to come. Holy smokes.

    ReplyDelete