Friday, October 16, 2015

I wore a helmet. Be proud.

Picture this: You're on the back of a motorcycle at night, arms wrapped tightly around the person in front of you. There is some dirt in your face, and your helmet is slipping onto the back of your head. But you feel okay because at least your wearing a helmet this time. Then you remember that you're in sandals, leggings, and a tank top. You yell "My hair is blowing in the wind!!" Because that's something you've always wanted to yell while on the back of a motorcycle. You tilt around turns, and wedge between cars. You're in the middle of the road, a semi on your right, a TapTap on your left. You mentally say goodbye to our elbows.
That was my ride to the club last night.
I'm blogging now, in the morning, because I am not sure I will have time tonight after the orphanage. We are having a fundraising party. I'll try to squeeze in a quick post though. At least some pictures.
We went to a really popular club with some live music. I made sure to go with someone who wasn't staying out until four, and who wasn't going to get drunk. See? I'm responsible. And really, I'm 21 (almost) and I'm in Haiti. What do you expect? I need to live a little.
When else will I have this opportunity?
I miss the kids while I'm gone. People ask me what I'm doing in Haiti, and as I tell them I often tear up thinking about the circumstances the kids are in, and how lucky they are compared to many HIV orphans who don't have CHOAIDS to live in. It is heartbreaking.
I just give them as much love as I can, while I can.
If the only thing I end up doing in Haiti is hugging kids, and being their friend, well then that's enough.
Alright, I'm off. I don't wear a helmet on my daily moto commute, but it's much less on the open roads. We don't go nearly as far, or as fast.
My burn is looking...not good...but not bad either. Healing.
xxoo

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you are adjusting quickly :). Just be safe and have fun Sadie girl! I'm proud of you and so happy you are on this journey!

    ReplyDelete