Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Such a princess

So today, Samuel, the manager here (who is from Haiti) decided to help me doctor my burn. He was very excited about this and kept calling himself a doctor, until he had to avert his eyes because the blister was so gross. Then he called himself a bad doctor. But it's looking better. I think.
At CHOAIDS Reshudsun ( the little one, and I will have to work on my spelling) got a bath, which is much different in Haiti than it is for kids in the states. He was placed in a bucket, had water poured over his head, and then was scrubbed all over with a bar of soap. Face an all. He just held his breath as they rinsed him off and took him upstairs for his nap. He woke up crying so I went upstairs and scooped him up. I think his tummy hurt because I started rubbing his tummy and he fell right back to sleep. Then we took a little nap together.
When the other kids got home I worked with Obenz (7 year old) with his reading again, and Valencina (10) with her writing and reading.
Everyone takes great pleasure in attempting to pronounce my name. "See-dee".
Today one of the little boys asked me if I was a princess. I kind of feel like one, the way everyone kisses my cheek, and brings me delicious food. I've had to start insisting that I do chores for them. So today I ground garlic with a mortar and pestle, and learned how to wash clothes by hand.
Johanne is teaching me creole, and I am teaching her English. Mainly we just laugh at each other for how bad we pronounce things.
When I left today we were in the midst of taking the kids' weight.
Some of the other people in the hostel are doing pretty interesting projects. One group is building a bridge to go over a garbage trench in the slum. Another is making a series of short films about Haiti.
I feel really happy despite the fact that I'm covered in bug bites, and constantly sweaty. I mean, what did I expect?
Still phoneless.
Ah well.
I'll think of about a million things I forgot to say once I save this.

7 comments:

  1. Bug bites - dang, we forgot to think about that. Can you get some bug repellent? It would be good if you could just cover your blister with a piece of gauze with tape. Any hope of finding that around?

    The orphanage and hostel sound so interesting. I hope you will be able to take pictures of the kids but I am not sure if that is allowed. Thanks for the updates. I really appreciate your stories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadie, thank you for the update. Great post! We have two first aid kits at the orphanage. Please ask Fanfan or Johanne to help you clean that burn. Also, ask Fanfan to take you to one of the supermarkets nearby to get some mosquito repellent.

    Oh also, ask them to help with the spelling of the kids' names :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sadie it sounds like you are starting of with the great attitude of embracing whatever your experience has to offer. How fantastic that you are learning Creole! Sounds like the kids and you have a lot to offer each other.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your stories Sadie. Keep them coming.
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the posts! What a joyous experience.

    ReplyDelete
  6. so wonderful, the experiences you are having and how lucky those children to have you in their lives!

    ReplyDelete
  7. With dad being an entomologist .... can't believe you forgot bug spray and there might be biting bugs! ;-)

    I love the stories, they give a nice visual of what you may be experiencing. I look forward to hearing more.
    Carol

    ReplyDelete