Wednesday, October 28, 2015

How to negotiate traffic in Port au Prince

I'm sorry I didn't blog the last few days. Internet connection has been really spotty. Actually that's a poor excuse. I was preoccupied walking to the store for cookies, and then eating them all.
There, I said it.
So yeah, Michael and I went to the store yesterday. It's about a 45 minute walk. There was a lot of traffic, and I'm getting very used to just wondering through the middle of the traffic jams. Lightly placing my hand on the hoods of the cars that try to run me over. Like I could actually somehow fend them off.
I had spaghetti for breakfast the other morning. One of my favs. You have the choice of mayo or ketchup as your sauce. I go for ketchup.
I challenge everyone to try eating one of the foods I've listed for breakfast. Spaghetti or breakfast soup (which I think is just lumpy cream of wheat). Your choice.
Things have been really calm. They don't announce the new president until the third I think. So riots shouldn't start unless people get so frustrated that it's taking way longer than it's supposed to.
On Saturday I'm going to Cite Soleil, the biggest slum in Port au Prince. It means "City of the Sun" which is kind of weird. We're going with a guide, which makes it relatively safe. If you don't go with someone who knows the layout...well then you're just a complete moron. I'll try to get pictures.
I'm going to the orphanage soon. I haven't been in several days because we were worried about the elections---I've got to move, the mosquitos are eating me alive.
That's better. I swear, after this lemon/eucalyptus oil concoction runs out, I'm buying Deet.
I find joy in spraying the mosquitos with my bug spray and watching them die. I know, I'm a terrible person.
I had to lie down again yesterday. The weird heat fatigue thing comes and goes in waves. I'm really grateful to be feeling better now.
Anyway, I think I'll prepare to leave for CHOAIDS. I'll try to write again when I'm home with stories about the kids.

2 comments:

  1. I am afraid I must decline your breakfast challenge. Mayo or ketchup on spaghetti is too difficult a choice.
    Mosquitos suck. Ha ha ha! A little humor for you there, Sadie Rae.
    Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Got to say I'm thrilled you have all those oils and blends with you!!! Just keep using them all, all the time!!

    ReplyDelete