Friday, October 9, 2015

Well I'm packed. At long last. It's been quite the ordeal, only twice did I get so frustrated that I actually burst into angry tears. Okay maybe it was three times. Four? Anyway, it's all done. Now all I have to do is get on the airplane.
Some special things involving our community around this project:
I was interviewed for the news paper last week and an article came out on Monday. I had mentioned that the orphanage needed towels. Each child gets one towel a year, and there are 23 children. I had sort of been hoping for some donations, but was really just planning to use my GoFundMe money to buy the towels myself.

After the article came out however, random people began taking towels to the bakery where I work. Like brand new towels. The same thing happened at my going away party. Guests brought towels in excellent condition, and by Tuesday of this week I had all 23 towels that I needed! So if any of the people who donated towels anonymously are reading this, please know how grateful I am. And for the people I have already thanked, thank you again.
Let me tell you another amazing thing that happened. I have been a nanny for one family in particular for the last three and a half years. Wendy, the mother of the children I nanny is excellent at sewing. She even made me a dress one time. Well she took it upon herself to make a small quilt for each child at CHOAIDS (the orphanage). That's 23 quilts!!
 
I don't know how she did it, but needless to say, I was blown away.
These last two weeks have really shown me what a supportive community we have here in little La Grande, Oregon. From my surprise going away party (complete with a six layer cake from the bakery).
Displaying DSC_0834.JPGDisplaying DSC_0829.JPG
To towel donations, to quilts. I will never be able to thank you all enough.
So with this fantastic start to my journey I now venture off into the unknown! (Read dramatically for full effect.)
I'm not scared, just excited. I feel like I'm on the edge of a life changing experience. No matter what happens, it will be perfect in it's own way. I'll write again soon. But for now...
Bon vwayaj! (That's creole. Are you impressed?)

2 comments:

  1. Yes! I am impressed! Onward to adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadie, I wish you the best in Haiti. You are the perfect person to take on this project. Remember to breath. I look forward to hearing all about it.

    ReplyDelete