Thursday, October 15, 2015

Doctors are good drivers. I swear.

Today was laundry day at the orphanage. I insisted on helping, so they showed me how to wash laundry by hand. Turns out I'm very bad at it. Ten minutes in and I had managed to scrub my knuckles raw. Like to the point of bleeding. So I was pulled off the laundry crew and made to sit on The Chair covered in Hello Kitty Band-Aids. So for two hours or so I was utterly useless. The baby was asleep and everyone else was either washing or cooking.
It was nice though. Such simplicity. I appreciated the breeze and watching the family of rats that lives at the back of the courtyard. I was also given bread and coffee.
They let me hang all of the laundry though. Then Richardson started crying and I zipped upstairs to get him. He was too hot so I blew on his face and rubbed his tummy until he calmed down. Then the kids got home and it was the usual frenzy of hello's and kisses.
Lots of the kids got in trouble today for not doing their chores. When they cry everyone else leaves them alone, and I sneak in hugs and sympathetic noises.
I got to teach a bit today, and we did a lot with essential oils to prevent infection.
I got a ride home from Johanne's friend Andrew, and he showed me around a bit. I trusted him to drive me because he's a doctor. So obviously that means he's a safe driver.
I've made a lot of friends in just four days.
I'm picking up some creole. Feeling a tiny bit confident.
On Friday we are having a burning man party at the hostel. A couple of my friends and I are going to stay up until as late as we can Saturday so that we can count the party as my birthday party. Because in case you didn't know, Saturday is my birthday.
Oh one more thought: I was having a beer last night with my friend Samuel. He's from Haiti and helps run HC (the hostel). He also has an orphanage and we were talking about how the kids at CHOIDS, and the kids at his orphanage have very limited toys. Like...none. I want to start a toy drive, and Samuel has a connection with several churches that come to Haiti on a regular basis. So if I could get toys, I could then get them to those churches, and the churches could bring them here. Unfortunately I'm in Haiti until December, so I can't start the drive until I get back. I was wondering, if anyone had some free time, would you want to help out with this? I thought of just doing some flyers and posting things on Facebook, or EOU, or whatever. If not, no worries. Just a thought.
Anyway, I'll post some pictures on FB. Bye! 

5 comments:

  1. Toy drive is a good idea...it would be sweet to get some with an educational focus...not just cheap noisy ones...let me think on this...we could create a list of developmentally appropriate toys for various age groups...then do a toy drive or fundraiser... maybe over thinking this, but setting a high expectation is important...
    Sadie maybe get some rubber gloves while your skin is toughening up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh!!! So happy to hear you are sharing the oils!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The boys love the idea of giving some of their toys to the children you are with. They are all a frenzy about the toys they think the kids will like best. We will get a box started for you! The boys send hugs and kisses your way! Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday Sadie! We're enjoying reading and following your fantastic adventures. You rock...we're proud of you!

    Bill, Christine & Kiera

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have lots of toys that we would be happy to donate to (and clothes, if needed)! I was telling Ella about your adventure and she was inspired to send toys and cookies ;-) If there is anything that we can help with, let me know! Kristin

    ReplyDelete