Monday, October 19, 2015

Thunder storms and elections

So it is almost guaranteed that if I stay in a tropical climate for more than a week I will get some sort of heat exhaustion. Oh lucky me.
Well, I am sorry to say that it has found me. I had to call FanFan and tell him that I needed to lay down today, and not go to the orphanage. This was after Samuel told me to go back to bed, and Jason gave me this green powder that is some sort of nutrient rich leaf (?) to add to my water. I slept from 11 to 2:30 and am actually feeling a lot better, which is amazing. I think part of it is me just deciding that I refuse to be sick.
It's sort of like just being really fatigued and dizzy for a day or two.
Side note: while I was napping I had a dream that I was yelling at my mom because she wouldn't let me eat my saltine crackers. I don't even like saltine crackers that much.
We've been experiencing thunder storms here. In fact, one is happening right now.
I accidently showered in one last week because I asked Samuel if he thought it would rain while I was showering. He replied "Nahhhh". Hah.
Currently I am the only guest at the hostel. Also, the only girl (aside from the director who is not here very often.) It's quite fine though because I get along well with everyone. We go to lunch, or watch youtube in our free time. They're good guys.
The other night Michael, Samuel, and I went up on the roof and lit off leftover fireworks from the party.
(I just had to run outside and get my clothes off the line. I spent way too long hand washing them to have them get blown to the ground in this storm.)
The presidential elections are next week and there are over 60 people running. It gets very violent during that time, and is often unsafe to leave your home, so I may be stuck here for a few days next week. There is already violence in the slum, I heard several people have died. The thing is the politicians pay people to cause chaos. I don't really understand why. There are guns being distributed in the slum even now.
I decided to not post on the weekends because there is not a lot going on, and if anything notable happens I will mention it in Monday's blog.
Anyway, I hope everyone is having a good October, and that it is beautiful there.
--S

3 comments:

  1. I could tell the heat was getting to you when we talked. At least you know what it is since you have experienced it a few times.
    Any idea when more guest are expected to arrive at the hostel? We should get Lee to spend a night or two there so he can go to the orphanage and meet your kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadie, thank you for the post. Do your best to stay hydrated. That will help a lot. You may also want to listen and watch the news to know what's going on in the country. Everyone often lay low during elections. Be well my friend :)

    ReplyDelete