Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Be grateful for what you have. Please.

I wore mascara today in an attempt to look as beautiful as Johanne. I am sad to say that I have yet to succeed. I'll keep trying. Stay tuned in for the next episode of Sadie's fail at being presentable.
I showed Richardson (The little one) how to use my pen, so he did some lovely drawings all over my journal. Will post pictures. We played a lot today, just the two of us. Peek a boo was riveting and absolutely hilarious he would tell you. If he could talk.
Sometimes he wanders around saying "Mamma" and I wonder who he's asking for. He was abandoned in a hospital and we don't have any paperwork on him so his age is unknown. Did I say that already? I've taken to packing him around with me.
Johanne and I were eating ice cream (what a treat!) and I wanted to give him some, but she explained to me that we really can't share spoons with them (Johanne and I were eating it with a single fork because it was the only utensil we could find.) Even though you cannot contract HIV through saliva it's better to stay on the safe side.
We left Richardson unattended for a few moments and he came back covered in red glitter. Some how he had gotten into the office and found what limited art supplies are there. As a result, I am now covered in glitter as well. Joy.
They are so polite at CHOAIDS. It's become kind of a competition between us. Who can be the most courteous. There is only one chair in the courtyard and the other three of us sit on rocks or bricks. When I walk through the main gait everyone leaps up and ushers me into the chair. I try to do the same so sometimes the chair ends up empty with all of us on rocks.
We chatter away, me and the other three women who work there. Johanne is the only one who speaks creole and English, so the rest of us just talk to each other without really understanding anything. Richardson sits with us, just another one of the girls. Kind of. I've never seen a toddler so patient.
He must have gotten bored though because his head started to droop and I picked him up to take him to his crib. He was asleep before we got to the top of the stairs.
The kids get home and kiss me and say hello, and I spray them with orange oil (good for your immune system). They thank me, and often come back for more.
Peek a boo is a popular game with the rest of the children as well. I've become very popular.
I have tons of friends. Maybe it's because they don't know what I'm saying most of the time.
I'm happy, and content.
And I'm tired of the other people at the hostel complaining nonstop about everything they should be grateful for. I am grateful for food, and a bed, and a pillow, and a fan, and everything else that I am provided. So dear everyone else: please stop complaining. I'm a princess, and even I'M more appreciative than you.  
And to everyone reading this, please remember to be appreciative of everything in your life. You are so lucky, and I find that it is often easy to forgot just how lucky you are.
Bye bye now!

1 comment:

  1. Fortunately Richardson was abandoned in the hospital rather than on the street. Did you say he has been at the orphanage for 2 years?

    ReplyDelete